Find out about IP ratings and NEMA ingress protection ratings right here! The information below will help you to determine IP ratings for any equipment classified using the international ingress protection classification system defined by EN 60529.
(Helpful information only, detailed reference should be taken from an appropriate agency.)
IP ratings contain two numbers (i.e. IP65) in most instances which relate to the level of protection provided by an enclosure or housing.
The first number relates to protection from solids as follows:
- 0: No Special Protection
- 1: Protected against solid objects up to 50 mm in diameter
- 2: Protected against solid objects up to 12 mm in diameter
- 3: Protected against solid objects up to 2.5 mm in diameter
- 4: Protected against solid objects up to 1 mm in diameter
- 5: Dust protected
- 6: Dust tight
The second number relates to protection from liquids as follows:
- 0: No special protection
- 1: Protected against dripping water
- 2: Protected against dripping water when tilted up to 15º from normal position
- 3: Protected against spraying water
- 4: Protected against splashing water
- 5: Protected against water jet spray
- 6: Protected against heavy water jet spray
- 7: Protected against the effects of short term immersion up to 1m
- 8: Protected against long term submersion
- 9K: Protected against high pressure steam jet cleaning
Example: IP66 = Dust tight and protected against heavy water jet spray.
Equivalent NEMA Ratings
NEMA (National Electrical Manufacturers Association) ratings can be approximately compared to those of the IP ratings system as shown below. Other factors such as corrosion protection are also involved in the NEMA system, please refer to official documentation for details.
- NEMA 1: IP10
- NEMA 2: IP11
- NEMA 3: IP54
- NEMA 4: IP56
- NEMA 4X: IP66
- NEMA 6: IP67
- NEMA 12: IP52
- NEMA 13: IP54
Can we help you find the right IP rated products? Let us call you…
However demanding your application and environment, we can provide you with the level of ingress protection your measuring solution requires. Many of our standard products can be readily customised for higher protection ratings and in addition, we can offer a customisation service. Please contact us to discuss the right environmental protection for your system.
- Suppliers of top quality strain gauge sensors and transducers to every corner of industry – UK and worldwide
- Over 100 years of expert transducer knowledge
- Our high quality products all come with a 3 year warranty